Thursday, November 5, 2009

Festival of me

A bit of a self-centered way to start off isn't it?  I think I am allowed to be self concerned today.  I just picked up my results from yesterday's first ever mammogram, and subsequent ultra-sound results.  Apart from a benign lesion in my left breast I am clear and good.  Relief.  I think I had just about talked myself into having breast cancer, courtesy of aching breast/armpit sagas.

Shall I tell you what it like to have a mammogram?  Firstly, don't believe all that scary shit that people tell you.  O.k., sure, having a mammogram does not top my list of fun things to do with my boobs, but it truly was not as bad as I thought it would be.

What happens is this: you strip to the waist, a nice lady lifts your boob (yes, mine require lifting) onto a metallish sort of plate, and then a perspex sort of  plate comes down to squish your breast out flat.  You look down and think, holy crap that's big.  Then the nice lady cheerfully says: "just a mo, I need to get the other set of plates".  The pressure comes off, you unstick your sweaty boob from the metallish plate, and stand around half naked whilst she fetches the BIGGER set of plates from the cupboard.   Repeat lifting and squishing procedure, and despair quietly at how much your boobs have grown since you were a pert twenty year old.

Painwise?  Really not so bad.  Uncomfortable, but you only have to bear the pressure for a few seconds, and for me the mind relief from having finally had my breasts examined properly was very totally worth it.

Also on the menu today:  I am home from my usual Friday position of working in a school library because I have had a badly upset stomach for four days now!  I am tired, my stomach is aching, the nausea is really starting to piss me off, and I didn't know what else to do except sit down and write out a complaint about it.  I guess I could go to the doctor, but that would mean making an appointment and leaving the house, both of which are too difficult to contemplate doing.  So here I am.

Also on the menu: A VERY BIG HAPPY 4th BIRTHDAY to SUPERBOY  (little killer) - one of my very most favourite people in the world.  Dear Superboy, I love your sense of humour, your giggle, and the way that your sheer awesomeness makes your mum's eyes light up every time she mentions you.  We in the festival household love you, and hope you have a magical day.xxxx

Lastly on the menu: packing to go away for the weekend with my sewing buddies.  I love these women a lot, and I always have a fantastically refreshing time when I am with them.  I just wish I had a bit more confidence in the inner-workings of my intestines, coz all I feel like doing at the moment is curling up on the couch with Audrey.  I love Audrey.  Maybe I'll go do that now, just for a little while.

No comments:

Post a Comment